On Monday, May 21, Dr. Heidi Ondek and the School Board honored five QV students during the May legislative meeting. One student from each school was honored with the Superintendent Citizenship Award and a QVHS Senior was selected to receive the School Board Graduating Senior Award. Congratulations to: QVHS Senior Franziska Nace, QVHS Senior John Corbett, QVMS 8th Grader Charlie Crane, Edgeworth Elementary School 5th Grader Kwilai Karto, and Osborne Elementary School 5th grader Grace Wiehe.
Franziska Nace: QVHS Superintendent Citizenship Award
- Franziska is very accomplished. In 2017 She won a Scholastic writing award, and was a finalist in the National Federation of State Poetry Societies Contest.
- She is athletic – throughout her high school years she played basketball, and has been a member of the track team.
- She is the editor of the student literary magazine Bittersweet, and is a staff writer for the Quaker Quill.
- She volunteers at the Carnegie Science Center, and the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Allegheny branch.
John Corbett: School Board Graduating Senior Award
- John is known to the board for being a student board representative this year.
- He is a member of the National Honor Society.
- Very athletic, he has competed on both the football & track teams.
- He is also musical, he plays the piano, guitar, and the French horn.
- He has worked as an intern for World Vision, and he is also an Eagle Scout.
Charlie Crane: QVMS Superintendent Citizenship Award
- Charlie is a kind, caring, compassionate classmate and friend.
- He is the leader of the student council social committee, and enjoys organizing events to raise school spirit.
- He writes and performs music publicly, and he plays both the guitar and the viola.
- He has a scientific mind; winning a 1st place award at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science regional competition.
- Through his middle school years, he has become a capable, enthusiastic, and confident, and stellar student.
Kwilai Karto: Edgeworth Superintendent Citizenship Award
- Kwilai is a serious, goal-oriented student.
- She plays the cello.
- Kwilai represented Edgeworth in the STEM Design Challenge at Duquesne University.
- She is a member of the Odyssey of the Mind team, and has participated in state and regional competitions.
- Kwilai seems to always make the right choices – she is a quiet leader among her peers.
Grace Wiehe: Osborne Superintendent Citizenship Award
- Grace is a busy, hard-working student.
- She enjoys the drama club and the gARTen club.
- Grace participates in “Girls on the Run,” plays basketball and soccer.
- She is a Girl Scout.
- Grace is thoughtful, kind, polite, responsible, and conscientious.